Friday, April 13, 2012

I'm Wearing a Boat on My Head!

I was recently asked about possibly making some fascinator-style hats (for non hat-wearers) for some women attending a "tea party" bridal shower next month. Fascinators aren't normally my arena of enthusiasm (the market already being flooded in that category by modern milliners), but I took a trip to the thrift store to see if I could find anything for inspiration. I came across this tiny toy balsa wood ship for $2.75, and that got me thinking...I came home, constructed a raised circular fascinator base using a scrap of buckram I had leftover from my Mad Hattress top hat, and this I covered with a scrap of leftover fabric from a Halloween costume made ages ago. The fabric is a wrinkled, shimmery iridescent blue-gold, which brings to mind water. I used electric-blue wired ribbon to simulate waves, and some gold ribbon just to bring the focus to the ship. Then, I glued shimmery pieces of rock, shells, pearls, and sewed on fish buttons and pirate treasure chest charms. There is even a dolphin riding the waves in front of the ship's bow. Of course, now that I am almost finished making this hat, I am totally in love with it! There is no way I can sell this one. *sigh* Perhaps this is why I am not cut out to be a professional milliner after all...I don't know if I can sell any of the hats I make!

Anywho, as I said, the hat isn't quite finished yet, but here is what all of the pieces look like laid out to their planned configuration.

No comments: