Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Eight Hundred Books & Counting...

Ryan and I had a blast last weekend at this huge warehouse sale full of thousands of books! Apparently, these people bought out a used book store, and now, years later, were themselves trying to get rid of their stock. All hardcovers were $1, and all paperbacks were 50 cents! It was like going to heaven for Ryan and me!! We didn't have much money, so we couldn't snag as much as we wanted ("We'll take it ALL, please."), but we did get about 12 books on antiques, a gorgeous hardcover edition of Les Miserables, some classics not yet in our collection, a history of art, and many other interesting books. I also snagged two "collector" books (there was a fortune in antique books alone at this sale). One of them was printed in 1898, and in the inside front cover was signed by someone w/a quill pen and dated 1902! The other antique book I picked up was a school book on astromony from the early 1900's. It has a gilt-stamped picture of the sun on its cover. I love books...can you tell? ;) In some ways I hate having to run a professional B&B (and thus keep the house clean!), because there is nothing that makes me happier than having piles and piles of books in the livingroom, and sitting on the couch reading through each one. I guess, if given the opportunity, I would happily become one of those hermit-scholars whose house was crammed top to bottom with piles of books! I think I'm seriously on my way there at any rate...

In other news, we moved Madame The Chicklet (or "Chick-le-potomus" as Ryan likes to call her) into her foaling stall yesterday. Poor thing was totally freaked out at being separated from the other donkeys, but Cappuchino (Chicklet's best friend in the next stall/pasture) was over-joyed to see her buddy again. It was really cute. I am excited for Chicklet's foal ("Jacopo") to arrive!

No comments: