Tuesday, July 07, 2009

A Quick Breath...

We just finished with our first set of guests this past 4th of July weekend (Fri-Mon). They were REALLY nice people, and we couldn't have asked for a better set of guests to "break us in." They were polite, considerate, weren't too picky about food, left from about 10 am to 10 pm every day (so Ryan and I had time to ourselves and didn't feel completely overwhelmed), and slept like the dead. The last part came in VERY handy during the unfortunate incident on the first morning involving smoke detectors and scorpions. No, I am not going to tell that story right now. It's best saved for another day...

We are booked for the 2nd guest room on July 16-18, and the main guest room on July 24 & 25th. I am hoping to get at least one other booking for the month of July. *fingers crossed* Not too shabby for not even having paid for advertising yet! I have been monopolizing a lot of free online advertising...you would be surprised how much is out there if you take the time to look! And it helps to befriend the local businesses and have them put you on their websites!

In other news, Zatarra is getting big, and Ryan and I have finally begun socializing her. This involves catching her & petting her (I know, I know, what a terrible thing! Petting my baby donkey!). I felt bad the first time though: she cowered in a corner with her tail between her legs while Ryan and I petted her! :( I know she'll learn to love us in time, but I felt like a BAD PERSON when she did that!!! Speaking of baby donkeys, Chicklet is due ANY day now, and Ryan and I are racing to temporarily fence that 4th barn pasture for her. We can't afford to fence it the way we will eventually (which we calculated will cost ~$800 in fencing and T-posts), but we have about 80 feet of leftover fencing and 10 posts, and we are going to create a temporary foaling pasture that we will take out later. We've been so busy getting the B&B stuff in order that we completely forgot about Chicklet. I checked the calendar yesterday and went, "Oh NO! Chicklet is due on the 15th!!!" This is about typical for Ryan and I during the summer, I have decided. We talked, and next year we are only going to breed goats (and plan to have them kid BEFORE summer tourist season starts!). We are going to take a year off from donkeys. I can't do both AND run the B&B! It's too much!!

No comments: