Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Belated Surprise


 
My Fairy Hat-Mother sent me a belated holiday package the other week.  She (like me) loves to go thrifting, and - because she lives in Seattle - has the ability to partake of the glory of the Goodwill "bins."  Anyone who has ever lived in or visited a large city and gone thrifting there will understand what I mean.  Large cities have the high population density and "old money" to support fabulous thrifting scores.  Now, turn that into an entire warehouse filled with undiscovered gems at below-thrift-store-prices, and there you have "The Bins."  I went once with her when we visited in October, and found many a fabulous vintage hat, as well as vintage purses and gloves.  In any event, my wonderful friend sent me a gift box filled with 1940s tilt hats, a lovely mink- & sequin-trimmed 1950s cocktail hat (I was super excited about this one, as I had sold a similar hat a couple of years ago and have since come to regret that action), a stack of hat-lust-inspiring vintage wool & velour felts, a lovely "Links-of-Minks" stole, and bow ties and suspenders for Ryan!  Talk about a box sure to make a vintage-lover swoon!



I am wearing one of my favorites of the tilt hats she sent, along with another belated-Yule-present-to-myself gift!  I have always wanted a vintage spotted fur cape (and coat!).  I kept losing out on one on Ebay, as they always went far higher than I could afford to pay.  But I finally found a cape on Etsy in my price range, and it is PURRRRFECT!  Now I just need a matching coat...



No comments: