Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Think I Need To Make Sauce Again...?

What do you think?!?!

After only a few minutes spent poking around the Herb Garden's tomato patch (there are three tomato patches on the property), I managed to partially fill up my enormous gardening basket! A plethora of heirloom tomatoes in a rainbow of colors! I'm so excited!

The only tomato that I will be saving seeds from this year is one I like to call the "Applegate Valley Heirloom Tomato." I was given the seeds by a lovely lady in the small town of Applegate. She said she did not know what variety of tomato it was, but that she had been saving the seeds for longer than she could remember! I believe this tomato started out originally as a Pineapple or Rainbow, but since then has morphed into its own "new" heirloom variety. As you can see, it's prone to cracking (I've noticed most of the larger beefsteak-type heirlooms tend to be), but the colors are beautiful!: a yellow body with green shoulders and a red side blush. The tomato grows VERY large, and has slight ridging.

I am looking forward to continuing to keep this particular heirloom tomato variety alive...


No comments: