Friday, September 25, 2009

The Donkalypse...

Donkeys are the type of animal that require a strict routine - and I mean strict! If you are off by even one minute, they will scream and carry on as though they are mere moments away from death and starvation. I love my donkeys! Donkeys are also one of the most thoughtful creatures in the universe. Every now and then, Cappuchino will quietly walk up to the house (our bedroom/bathroom window is roughly 20 feet from their pasture fence) and bray at the top of her lungs around 4:30-5 am. This is to make sure that we get up in time to feed her. She's really just helping us stay on schedule. I really do love my donkeys.

For the past 6 months, we had been feeding the animals every morning at 5:30 am sharp. Then, as winter set back in and the mornings grew darker and colder, I switched to feeding them at 7:30 am on the weekdays. The donkeys do not appreciate this one little bit. This morning, for instance, Cappuchino brayed at 4:30 am, trying to tell us that we should still stick to the old schedule - which worked better, according to her! Frieda was next, doing her demonic scream about 5:45 am. I love her. In any event, it's now 7:26 am - I have managed to hold out - but I need to go feed the donkeys soon before they manage to chew their way through the fence and overtake the hay pile.

It's off to morning chores!

No comments: