Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Plan

In an effort to become better organized than my normal chaotic gardening style, I have written up a 5-month-long schedule of planting. I only have 4 seedling heat mats, so I am constrained to germinating only as many seeds as will fit in 4 trays this winter (another reason it was wise for me to plan everything out!). Using Horizon Herbs germinating hints and the OSU Extension's Gardening Book as guides, I have devised my method of attack. While some may be surprised at the planting times of certain items, you must remember that Ruch is a strange micro-climate in Southern Oregon. We are often times warmer and drier in the winter than the surrounding communities, and cooler (by about 10 degrees!) in the summer. Previous experience has taught me that I can transplant certain species outside earlier than people in, say, Medford or Selma, can. Our climate even differs from Applegate - a mere 7 miles away! Last spring, I was able to set out my tomatoes in April and have no ill effects, whereas friends in Applegate were unable to plant theirs outside until early JUNE! So you see, Ruch is a strange little gardening vortex...
In any event, here is my To-Do List for January:

JANUARY
INDOORS
Tray 1 -
Already planted with Yerba del Lobo, Heimia, Mullein, Cinnamon, and Maravilla.
Tray 2 - Peruvian Torch Cactus and Century Plant (Agave)
Tray 3 - Parsley, Clary Sage, Echinacea, Mexican Tarragon, Boneset
Tray 4 - Garden Sage, Oregano, Thyme, Chives, Boy Choy

OUTDOORS
Direct Seed Anise & Angelica
Tray 1 - Arrowleaf Balsamroot
Tray 2 - Compass Plant
Tray 3 - Fraxinella

No comments: