Monday, July 19, 2010


What's for Breakfast?


Saturday's breakfast menu consisted of individual melon cups with fresh local blueberries and chocolate mint (garnished with chocolate mint sprigs and borage flowers), and was followed by Maple-Ginger Waffles with Yellow Dock Flour (grown from seed, collected, cleaned, and hand-ground by me). I had just finished cleaning a large bunch of Yellow Dock seeds the day before, and - after grinding - had obtained a perfect 1/3 cup of flour (exactly the amount needed for the recipe!)!! It was as though I had planned it! The original waffle recipe calls for 1/3 cup oat bran. However, I love to experiment with my plants, and I thought that Yellow Dock, which is related to buckwheat, would make a fabulous substitution! What do you know: I was right! The waffles were absolutely phenomenal in flavor, and the fresh local blueberries we topped them with added the perfect amount of sweetness to compliment the "wheaty" flavor of the waffles. Hands down, best breakfast meal I have ever made or eaten! Can't wait to cook up more!!


1 comment:

Emerald Window said...

The picture of the melon with the blueberries should be entered in a contest. It's BEAUTIFUL!
Cenya