Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reasons Why You Should Still Browse Antique Stores

Normally, I find that most items in antique stores are horrendously overpriced (which is why I do most of my shopping at thrift stores and online). However, every now and then you find a few places that still maintain reasonable prices on their merchandise. Yesterday, Ryan and I found such a place tucked away in a little hole-in-the-wall on the outskirts of town. I picked out the most adorable 50's dress for $10! It has short sleeves, a full, pleated skirt, a sash made out of matching fabric, and a metal zipper in back. I love the fabric too!
























I also managed to come across (in the post-Halloween sale "costume" pile) a 1930's/1940's hat for $4. The poor little hat has seen better days, and is in desperate need of reshaping. However, the structure is sound, and the netting is (shockingly) intact, so I feel it's worth the hassle of trying to reshape it. I have heard that you can use the steam from a teakettle to reshape a wool felt hat, so I am going to give this a try. Unfortunately, I have no hat form to work with, so it's going to be a bit more difficult, but I have faith! I must save my dear hat! :)



No comments: