Monday, May 09, 2011

Eat Your Corn...Just Not MY Corn...

On Saturday, Ryan tilled the Pasture Garden one last time for me. I then proceeded to plant Oaxacan Green Dent Corn seeds and pumpkin seeds in the 14'x49' plot. We have expanded from our original flour corn patch last year, which measured 10'x40'. However, I was frustrated to note that Sunday morning the ground squirrels and crows had already gone to work on my patch! This has been a bad year for furry "pests," and I am beginning to stress a bit about the harvest. Though we try to live in harmony with the wildlife around us, the ground squirrels were such a problem last year (both to gardens and house foundations) that we officially declared open warfare on them. As far as I can tell, there are only two small colonies left, and we are still waging our war.


No comments: