Thursday, July 05, 2012

Goodbye, Cruel World!

And so it begins: my 15-day marathon stretch of B&B guest insanity!  I'm so excited (and equally terrified)!  I can only hope that the remainder of the month/summer ends up being this successful!  But needless to say, I am going to be one busy lady...

There is a 6-night reservation this month that is truly going to test the limits of my breakfast menu planning.  I actually adore this sort of challenge, as it forces me to come up with new & exciting menu ideas (this is how the delicious "Peach Boats" came about).

July begins the Month of Plenty in the garden - the raspberries and boysenberries are ripening, the summer vegetables are finally starting to come online.  I am excited to be able to provide such tasty breakfast items as: Raspberry-Cornmeal Muffins made with our own homegrown & handground Oaxacan green cornmeal and golden raspberries out of the garden, as well as Maple-Ginger Waffles made using our sustainably-harvested (and painstakingly collected, winnowed, cleaned, & ground) Yellow Dock Seed flour.

The unfortunate downside to the B&B being so busy is that the weeding of the garden/property suffers.  That being said, I have never been big on weed-control in the garden, mainly because I love wild edibles.  Our pastures are filled with Yellow Dock, English Plantain, Dandelion, Purslane, Lamb's Quarters, St John's Wort, Chamomile, etc.  As you can see, with so many useful weeds growing, why bother pulling them all?  We are a no-spray property, so the best I can do (when I have time) is use shredded newspaper/straw mulch, and make sure that the veggies don't get choked out by the weeds when they are small.  After that, I pretty much leave things alone.  The bright side is that many "weeds" actually make good companion plants, and I have NEVER had a problem with a decreased harvest!

See you in two weeks!


No comments: