Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Favorite Time Of The Year...

The seed catalogs have begun arriving in the mail, and I am in paroxysms of ecstasy!!! This is my favorite time of the year: pouring over the seed selections, writing down everything I want to try growing this year, calculating the total, pairing down my seed order, recalculating, and dreaming some more...I adore gardening! I think what I love most about this time of the year is that there is SO much possibility. Nothing is set in stone, and I am free to day dream. I can start planning out what I will plant and where, how I will rearrange my garden, etc. Now that we have our handy dandy tractor, I am going to be able (with Ryan's help of course!) to GREATLY expand my two pasture gardens without sacrificing my back and my wrists (which I did last year - and have forever since then suffered chronic pain in those areas). Though I had an absolutely amazing garden last year - and I believe I have every right to be proud and brag about how well it did - I still want to expand. I saved many, many seeds from my garden, but of course there were the usual crops that did poorly (and therefore I couldn't save seeds from), or I decided I wanted to switch out one variety of vegetable for another, etc. This is where winter's seed catalogs come in. I believe the potatoes sense my happiness and optimism - they are already trying to sprout in their containers. *grin*

No comments: