Thursday, December 09, 2010

Catching Up

I picked up this unfinished "holiday" skirt at the Goodwill ages ago, and finally got around to making it wearable. The waistband needed stitching, and it didn't have any method of closure, so I added those as best I could. The waist is a little big on me, but I like the colors and shine of the skirt! It's a calf-length, VERY full gathered skirt, with strips of autumn- and gold-colored brocade in between strips of gold satin. As I said, the waist is still a bit big on me, but not so bad that I feel like I have to go back in and fix it. In the picture, I am wearing the skirt with a purple velvet Banana Republic shirt I found for $1 at the thrift store the other day. Now is a great time for thrift store deals: most places around here are having 50% off sales! Yippee!

Excuse the poor picture - it was windy and rainy today.

To add sparkle, I am wearing my family heirloom Juliana necklace. I used to play dress-up with this when I was little. My grandmother got this for free from her work in the 1950's/60s. I have recently learned that it's worth something between $275-$575. Isn't life funny?

The shiny, fairy-like quality of the outfit reminded me of a similar ensemble I wore for my high school senior pictures. Recognize anyone you know? ;)


No comments: