Sunday, April 10, 2011

A 1941 Dress Gets Some New Love

I scored a wonderful vintage Maid of Honor dress from 1941 for $30 today! The people selling it on craigslist said that it had been worn by their Grandma Morley.

Here's a view of the back of the dress:

It's a beautiful, full-length, soft peachy-pink satin, and is (to me anyway) a classic example of the late 30s/early 40s style. It has a boat neck collar, slightly ruched sleeves, and a metal side zipper.

The dress also came with a set of matching cut-off "gloves" and an adorable open-back bonnet.

(Question: why am I always wearing my farm chore clothing when I take pictures of my cute vintage hats?! *laughing*)

As can be expected with a dress this old, some of the seams have opened up and require mending, but thankfully nothing major. The dress will be making a trip to the dry cleaners for pressing and to see if they can remove some moderate staining.

Overall, it's in excellent condition, and I am VERY pleased with my purchase! Plus, it fits like a glove and looks gorgeous on me. *cheeky grin*

No comments: