Sunday, February 05, 2012

Two Vintage Dresses & A Date!

Yesterday was an unusually gorgeous, 60-something degree February day! The sun was shining brightly, and even though the morning had started off in the mid-20s, by the early afternoon it was warm enough to go around in short sleeves!!

Ryan and I headed off on an all-day date. We've been overworked, overstressed, and underslept, and we needed to do something to relax. We are also big believers in "dating your spouse" - i.e., just because you're married doesn't mean that the romance ends. So we make sure to do fun things together once a week or so, with "big" dates about 1-2 times a month (as our meager budget allows). This helps keep our relationship fresh and going strong!

Since the Chinese New Year celebration was going on in Jacksonville, I dressed up in my vintage kimono dress (which I realize is Japanese in style, but I figured it would work for today) that I purchased last October at the Goodwill for $4.99. I threw on a pair of tights that Ryan bought me for Christmas from SockDreams - LOVE that store!! - which had a rose pattern that exactly matched the rose embroidered on the dress. I also wore my fantastic James McCreery hat, which didn't exactly match the darker red hues of the dress, but was a fun addition to the outfit anyway!

We wandered over to a new antique mall that had recently opened up on the outskirts of Medford. In it, we ran into our next door neighbor, who has a wonderful booth full of fabulous vintage barware there! Then, we went to another antique store where I found (and blew all of my hat budget money on) the most AMAZING 1920s beaded flapper dress! It HAD to come home with me!! I feel as though I need to list it in the Etsy store to justify the price, but it's too pretty...I want to keep it! I suppose this just means I need to host another Prohibition-themed party.

We also stopped for a deliciously-filling sushi lunch at Bonsai in Medford.

All in all, a FANTASTIC day!

No comments: