Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Catching Up...

I have been falling embarrassingly behind in my blog updates about my vintage discoveries lately!  Harvest season, vacation plans, and life in general have just gotten in the way...


In any case, I went to an estate sale the other weekend, and purchased this gorgeous beige-hued custom-made 1950s lace cocktail dress for $20!  It fits me perfectly, and goes very well with my coloring.  I thought it rather ironic that I purchased the dress for a mere $20 (retail value probably $150-$350), but the seller refused to budge on a ridiculously high-priced $2,500 vintage lynx fur coat.  I just bought a vintage monkey fur coat at another estate sale for $100, and monkey fur is equal to lynx in rarity and monetary value.  I can't see anyone in Southern Oregon shelling out $2,500 for a size small vintage fur coat, but maybe I was wrong?  I never went back the last day to see if it sold...*sigh*  I would have given it a loving and appreciative home, but alas!  It wasn't meant to be!


With the dress, I am also sporting my latest Frank Palma hat!  It's a gorgeous little black felt tilt hat with grey-hued ostrich feathers and two little birdies peeking out!  The birdies were bare when I got the hat, so I had to re-glue feathers on.  Unfortunately, most of the original feathers were missing, and all I had to work with were turkey feathers (much wider than the original feathers, and therefore much more difficult to glue down smoothly).  I'm not entirely satisfied, and may re-do the feathers in the future, but for now the birdies are covered again, and the ostrich feathers hide most of it anyway.  I do so love my Frankie hats!

No comments: