Monday, September 19, 2011

Trading One Insanity For Another...

Now that tourist season is (un)officially over, I have traded the insane work schedule of that for the insane work schedule of Fall Harvest! Ack! This past weekend, I harvested our 2nd potato bed, bringing in another 30+ pounds of potatoes (mainly Kennebec, with a little Beauty of Hebron thrown in for kicks!). Kennebec potatoes are my main crop - they are incredibly high-yielding, and they have above-average disease and pest resistance around here. Plus, they make a nice "all purpose" culinary potato. I have one final large potato bed to harvest, and then a small one. Overall, I expect to bring in nearly 100 lbs of heirloom potatoes this year! YAY for ME! I also harvested another ~40 lbs of heirloom tomatoes (currently waiting to be processed into sauce and canned) and the remainder of the flour corn (which I spread out in the Boutique for final drying before I grind it into cornmeal).

The winter squash aren't quite ready to bring in yet, and the bean patch is still producing like crazy!

There are still quite a few tomatoes out there needing to be picked, as well as Litchi "tomatoes" and raspberries...Oh, and I haven't finished harvesting the dry bean crop yet. So much to do!!

Not to mention all of the herb and veggie seed harvesting/cleaning/drying/processing/storing.

So, for those folks who think I'm just a stay-at-home house wife who likes to spend money on silly clothes and hats, I have news for you: I earn my keep (and my hats!). Do you know how many pounds of tomatoes alone it takes to feed two people through the winter? 140 lbs will be just enough to get us through til next year!!! That doesn't include the beans, apples, peaches, peppers, etc., or the turkeys we raise and slaughter/process ourselves every year...I guess what I am trying to say is that you don't have to work outside of the home to be valuable, and you don't have to be a tom boy just because you're a dirty farmer. :)

No comments: