Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Late Summer Harvest

Is it just me, or was there a touch of Fall in the air this morning? Perhaps it's just my imagination, but I felt that this morning, with its cool breeze and brief cloud cover, felt more like fall weather than late August.

After an interesting summer, we are finally beginning to enjoy a late season tomato and bean harvest. My 2nd patch of heirloom Dragon's Tongue bush beans are finally ready, and picking a mere 2 rows filled a 5 quart plastic bucket! I have sectioned off the best plants for seed saving, but that still leaves quite a few "eating beans" plants. The bugs have not begun hitting this crop yet, so all of the beans were pristine and lovely. I munched on beans as I worked, making the chickens and turkeys (whose pastures adjoin the garden) very jealous.

The Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge Tomatoes are ripening, and though their color is visually fascinating (they are supposedly the only domesticated tomato with a true purple pigment), their flavor is far better suited to sauce making than fresh eating.

No comments: