Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Getting A Jump On The 2011 Gardening Season!

Well, a mere 5 days into the new year and already I've been hard at work both outdoors and in the greenhouse! This morning, I went out into my burdock bed and dug up a large bucket of roots for cutting up and drying in the food dehydrator (a cheater method for drying large roots in winter). For all that I dug up, I must have left double that amount in the ground. I'll have another go at it again in about a month, and the remaining roots after that point will be left alone for seed saving purposes. Same went for some of my Yellow Dock out in the pasture. I have not finished cutting up all of the burdock root, but I ran out of energy (and room) in the dehydrator for the moment. I also dug up, divided, and transplanted comfrey and clary sage. As I was working in the herb garden, I happened to glance down and saw that I had borage coming up EVERYWHERE (well, everywhere that it's not supposed to! Silly wind!). Signs that it's been a mind winter thus far, eh?

When I worked up enough of a sweat outside, I ventured into my greenhouse to water my plants. Apparently, I'm not the only optimistic soul here - several of my Litchi Tomatoes are blooming! I love their flowers - such a lovely white to compliment the green leaves. I even had a cactus in flower too!

Note my supervised-through-the-screen-door greenhouse cheer squad (or maybe meow squad?)!:

Once I finished watering and fertilizing plants, I started my first germination tray of 2011! In it, I planted Violet de Provence artichoke, broccoli, and Walla Walla onion seeds. I plan to begin two additional trays tomorrow, containing (amongst other things) Litchi Tomato, Giant Cape Gooseberry, Husk Tomato, Licorice, cauliflower, leeks, and more onions. I'm SO excited for 2011's garden!

Stay tuned for more updates and pictures as the season progresses!

No comments: